martes, 18 de octubre de 2016

My journey to journalism


When I was a teenager I never thought that I would study journalism. My entire life I always said that I wanted to be a movie director. I used to dream about making alien movies or with dinosaurs and stuff like that. I actually persuaded some of my friends to film some really bad quality videos. I hope that all that material is burning in hell right now. Nah, just joking, I have good memories of those times, but being honest, our films sucked -can you believe that the name of our """company""" was "Niños Films"? shame on us-.



Anyway, for a long time I thought that I would become the next Steven Spielberg, but things changed a little bit when my little brother appeared in my life. He was the littlest kid in the world when he decided that he wanted to be a director too. Of course that I don't want to be the same thing that my brother so I changed my mind -like I said, the movies of "Niños Films" opened my eyes so a change doesn't sound so bad-.

My next goal was becoming an actor, so I went to several acting courses. All of those classes form part of one of the most interesting periods of my life. I met many people and had a lot of different teachers with their own techniques.

When I was sixteen, I knew that acting was my future, but things got weird when I turned seventeen. For no real reason I started to think that I would not be a good actor so I forgot about it. So when I turned eighteen and had to apply for university I had two options: journalism or becoming a history teacher. At that time I loved history, I still do, so I went for that degree.

As I wrote last time, my staying in the Pedagógico was brief. I entered in march and when our Patriotic Parties came in september, I was out. So it was then when I decided that journalism would be my next step. 



I thought that it would be a good idea, because journalism forms an important part of a healthy democracy, and I want to make my work for my country. Maybe I would not be a teacher, but I thought that as a journalist I also can contribute. Of course that I also consider that reading and writing wasn't so difficult for me.

Right now I don't like the carrer. I don't want to sound like an ungrateful person, but being honest, I think that our degree has an important lack of a lot of things, from materials to good teachers. But please notice that I'm talking about the degree, not journalism by itself. I actually admire some famous journalists, like Raúl Sohr, Patricio Bañados and Walter Cronkite.









Now, being a little optimistic, I like to think that in a future I would be an international analist, like Raúl Sohr. The truth is that international news are the ones that capture most of my attention and I consider that in Chile we have a debt with these ones.


1 comentario:

  1. hi again! ... niños films was the best part ajajaja... hope you can realize your dreams Joaquin! you are a great writer :D

    ResponderEliminar